Friday, April 3, 2009

Day 1, Cont'd: Bandits and Pirates

I pause to give the highwayman's offer some thought. On the one hand, I don't want to die over some money. On the other hand, I've nearly died getting some of that money. And if I can take on axe-wielding skeletons, I can take on criminal furries. I tell him where he can shove his threats and he comes at me with his warhammer.


Ouch! My vision blurs as the iron clonks against my head, but I whip out the trusty dagger I pulled off the mage. I dart in and out, dodging what I can and trying, quite unsuccessfully, to block what I can't. Pretty soon, my health has begun to diminish and I'm regretting not parting with my money. Oh, if only there was a way out!


No sooner do I cry out than an armored legionnaire bursts through the bushes and starts hacking at the bandit. Get 'im!




It was a one-sided battle really. After all, I'd pretty much stabbed him silly with my dagger. I mean, seriously, I did most of the work, right? Right? The legionnaire strides off into the sunset before I can even explain, and I'm left wondering what to do with the bandit. I decide to keep his memory alive by carrying a memento of him.




Yeah, now I'm really looking like a huntress!




I once again start down the road to Anvil, my spirits high. I've challenged skeletons, mages, and bandits, laughed at green people, and bravely run from danger. I stride into Anvil a rich NPC.




First things first. I head to the Mage's Guild to sell off the ingredients I've gathered and potions I've mushed together. I also catch up on local gossip, buy a spell to lighten my pack (I'd had to leave some good loot, like that warhammer, behind), and ask about the strange root I found. Felen Relas tells me he's got no clue, but he points me in the direction of Skingrad.




The sun's setting as I leave the Mage's Guild, and I take the opportunity to slow down and enjoy the warm evening air. I visit the pond with the naked statue, check up on the mad prophet (he's still yelling people's ears off; what a loon!), and wander the docks. Finally I head to the Black Flag Tavern for dinner and a night's rest.




I plop down ten gold coins, get a key from Peg Head Jack, and head upstairs. The accommodations are nicer than I'd expect from a pirate joint. Really, I was expecting the bedsheets to be made of sailcloth or something. I go to put my equipment in the drawers only to find they're full of clothes. Nice ones, too. Hey, how do I look?




Too fancy? Yeah, I think this one's more down to earth.




Satisfied, I head back downstairs to have dinner. I head to the bar first, but the dark elf there keeps trying to get me to buy some skooma. So I sit down with an old sea captain for dinner instead. We laugh away the hours over some Goblin's Butt Wine.




Finally, it's time to turn in. It's been a long first day, after all, and it's catching up to me. I head back upstairs to my room, set my internal alarm clock for 5:00am (the earlier the better, as far as hunting goes), and bed down.




Ahh... It's good to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment